Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
2013 June Board Meeting Minutes
Share |

OSHP Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

June 13th, 2013, 2:00 – 4:00 pm
University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy
Oklahoma City, OK (Room ORI 4410) and Tulsa, OK (Room 2H37)

I. CALL TO ORDER

With a quorum present, President Finnin called the meeting to order at 3:02 p.m.

Members Present: Miki Finnin, President
Ann Lloyd, Past-President 
Matt Bird, Treasurer
Kari McCracken, Secretary
Kristie Williams, Eastern District Chair
Debbie Poland, Western District Chair  (via phone)

Darin Smith, member (via phone)
Tim Anderson, member and committee chair (via phone)

Members Absent:   Rebecca Dunn, President-elect

II.  APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The May Board meeting minutes have been approved by the Board via email voting. 

III.  BOARD REPORTS
A. Secretary 
i. No report

B. Treasurer
i. Year to date financial summary was presented.  The organization has total current assets of $$247,259.67.  The BOK CD has been closed and balance transferred into the BOK checking account.  The American Heritage CD will be closed in July and moved into the BOK Checking account.  

ii. Quicken Books Checking account summary— Matt reviewed the transaction record for the BOK Checking account ending 5/31/13.   There are several uncleared transactions dating back to 2010.

iii. Purchase of CDs – A discussion on the available options, interests rates and terms will be held during the July board meeting.  

C. Western District Chair 
i. The June meeting will be held on the 13th at Red Pine.  The sponsor is Santarus and the topic is Uceris for ulcerative colitis.  
ii. American Regent will sponsor the August meeting and the topic will be injectable iron.
iii. The September meeting will be held on September 12th and will be sponsored by sanofi-aventis.
iv. The November meeting will be held on November 14th and the sponsor is Boerhringer-Ingelheim. 

D. Eastern District Chair 
i. The June meeting will be held the 25th at the Polo Grill in Tulsa.  The sponsor is Cubist and the topic is on antibiotic stewardship.  
ii. The July meeting is scheduled for the July 23rd and the topic is hemophilia. 
iii. The August meeting will be held August 13th at Flemings and to topic will be COPD.  

E. Past-President
i. State Board of Pharmacy meeting – Ann attended the last Board meeting in Oklahoma City.  There was lots of discussion about narcotic diversions and compounding issues.  The next meeting is June 27th and will be at the new building.  She will be unable to attend. Kristie Williams will attend in her place. 

IV. COMMITTEE REPORTS/UPDATES

A. Programming Committee – Miki Finnin, Board liaison and Ann Lloyd, past-Board liaison
i. Fall meeting – A venue has not been found for the selected dates of October 18th or 25th.  The programming committee will continue to explore options.    
ii. Budget reconciliation – Ann provided the budget reconciliation report from the Spring meeting.  The organization was able to make approximately $10,000 from participant registration and vendor registration for participation in the vendor showcase.  

B. Membership Committee --  Kristie Williams, Board Liaison
i. Kristie plans to meet with the committee chairs to discuss the upcoming membership drive, and resident recognition at the district meetings in the Fall.  She will work with the new committee chairs to develop a “welcome packet” for new members.  

V. OLD BUSINESS 

A. OSHP Certificates of Deposit (CDs) – Miki Finnin 
i. The balance of the Bank of Oklahoma CD has been transferred to the Bank of Oklahoma checking account.  The American Heritage CD will be moved to the Bank of Oklahoma Checking account in July when the CD becomes up for renewal.  The organization will then purchase a 3 year or 6 year CD and another with a even shorter term from the Bank of Oklahoma or other financial institution.
ii. Matt provided information on CD options from Midfirst Bank.  Rebecca was able to provide information on State Farm CDs.  Matt, Rebecca and Miki will gather current rates at these institutions and the Board will discuss further at the July meeting. 

B. Fall meeting – Miki Finnin
i. The committee is still trying to identify a location for the Fall meeting in October.   St. John Medical Center, Saint Francis and OSU Tulsa options have been explored but are either booked or do not have adequate space available to accommodate needs.  

C. Annual meeting evaluations – Miki Finnin
i. Evaluations from the Annual meeting have been reviewed. There were a lot of positive comments.   The attendees like the presentations and presenters.  

D. ASHP Affiliate Benchmarking Survey – Miki Finnin
i. The survey will be sent out for Board comment via email.

E. ASHP Technician Education Portal – Miki Finnin
i. The Education Portal provides technicians a venue to be able to obtain CE.   Technicians do not have to have an ASHP membership to participate.   They can connect to the portal via the ASHP website. 

VI. NEW BUSINESS
A. Controlled substance diversion – Darin Smith
a. Darin attended the Board meeting to garner the Board’s support for a diversion summit.  John Foust and the Board of Pharmacy are hoping to provide leadership on diversion.  Darin has several Directors of Pharmacy that are willing to help.   He would like the group to develop a best practices document that is supported by the Oklahoma Board of Pharmacy, DEA, and OBNDD.  This type of document would be a good resource for the membership to evaluate their practice and make improvements in their system.   Darin also asked for potential financial support from OSHP for the summit.  He will return at a later Board meeting with a financial proposal for approval.  

B. Installation of new Western District Chair Debbie Poland – Miki Finnin
a. Debbie Poland was installed as Western District Chair. 

C. Committees – Miki Finnin
a. Adhoc Communication and Social Media Committee – 
i. Miki has discussed the possibility of a website redesign with Ben Welch.  He is supportive of the idea but does not want to chair the committee.  Tim Anderson will be the Chair.  Members of the adhoc committee will include Ben Welch, Jacintha Sterling, Mark Mills, Becca Panak, and Roger Blackwell).  Tim will set up a meeting of the committee in the next couple of weeks.  

D. Director’s Communication Tool – Miki Finnin and Tim Anderson
a. Mike has had numerous conversations with Tim regarding the need for a Pharmacy Director’s meeting between the Fall and Annual meetings.  He also would like to have a communication tool to engage directors in a quarterly conference call.  

E. Management group for OSHP – Matt Bird
a. Matt was approached by Beverly about the possibility of OSHP engaging a management group.   The Board discussed the possibility of hiring a manage group and after discussion decided that it was not a direction that the Board wanted to head at this time.  

VI. ADJOURNMENT
A. With no further items to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 3:49 pm.  The next Board meeting will be held on July 19th at 2:00 pm.  

Submitted by:  Kari McCracken, Secretary

 
Community Search
Sign In


Calendar
Latest News
Featured Members

OKLAHOMA SOCIETY OF HEALTH-BASED PHARMACISTS
PO BOX 2371
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK  73101