Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
2015 July Board Meeting Minutes
Share |

OSHP BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES


July 15, 2015 3:10 – 3:50 PM
Oklahoma City, OK (Room 230) and Tulsa, OK (Room 1D29)


I. CALL TO ORDER
With a quorum present, President Sharp called the meeting to order at 3:10 pm.

Members Present: Randall Sharp, President
Debbie Poland, President-Elect (via telephone)
Kari McCracken, Past-President (via telephone)
Emily Gray, Eastern District Chair
Brian Hughes, Western District Chair (via telephone)
Teresa Lewis, Secretary 
Members Absent: Mark Mills, Treasurer 

II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Emily Gray made the motion to approve the May and June Board meeting minutes.  Teresa Lewis seconded the motion.  The board approved the meeting minutes.

III. BOARD REPORTS
A. Secretary: 
Membership numbers

 

December 2014

June 2015

July 2015

 

Eastern District

Western District

Eastern District

Western District

Eastern District

Western District

Pharmacists

108

131

95

114

95

114

Students

28

72

25

57

24

59

Supporting

3

3

4

7

5

2

Technicians

24

5

16

2

15

4

1st Year Pharmacist

4

11

3

4

3

4

Resident

8

14

5

13

8

14

Total

175

239

151

197

150

197

B. Treasurer  - N/A
C. Eastern District Chair 
The residents’ meeting for the Eastern District is next month
D. Western District Chair
There is no July meeting
There will be an August meeting; however there is no date set at this time because the marketing has not been approved yet
E. President-Elect - None
F. Past-President – none
G. President – please refer to new & old business sections

IV. COMMITTEE REPORTS/UPDATES
A. Membership Committee – Emily Gray, Board Liaison
Emily will be emailing Bruce and Nassim, the membership committee co-chairpersons for updates
Debbie reported that last year we forgot to mail out letters in October to OSHP members about renewing their membership.  Kari reported that the membership committee forgot that they were supposed to this
Debbie also reported that last year was the first year members could renew their membership online and there were difficulties that may have contributed to lower membership numbers
Emily will bring these issues up to the membership committee co-chairpersons and she will bring up the issue of potential mixers to increase membership numbers

B. Newsletter Committee – Debbie Poland, Board Liaison
Debbie reported that Beth Resman-Targoff, the co-chairperson for the newsletter committee, suggested that each committee should have a document that details the responsibilities and tasks related to the committee.  The checklist of duties could be passed on by the current committee chairs to the next person taking on the responsibilities.  The board discussed this issue and agreed that this should be done for all committees as well as for each Board position.  Randall stated that he will email the committee chairs and ask each chairperson to develop a checklist of tasks with timelines for their committee.  The documents should be saved in Dropbox and the OSHP Secretary can disseminate the documents to new committee chairpersons 

C. Nominations Committee 
Emily asked if there is a way to have the nominations form built into the OSHP website rather than having a paper form.
Brian will get with Lisa, OSHP’s staff secretary, to have these forms available electronically

D. Program Committee – Randall Sharp, Board Liaison  
Everything is on track.  There are 6 speakers lined up.  Waiting for speakers to provide presentation titles and objectives.  Alex Cobb is still working on a budget for the fall meeting.

E. Social Media and Communications Committee – Brian Hughes, Board Liaison
Brian emailed the Board members an excel document he received from Miki Finnin, co-chair of the social media and communications committee.  The document details the goals for the committee.  See summary table 

Goal

Action Item

Responsible Party

Email telling members when new information is posted on the website.

Every month send an email blast with latest additions on website (Wednesdays) - 1. Put most interesting items first to catch attention 2. Lisa to send to Darlene/Miki/Jacyntha to review. 3. Send a monthly request to Board to see if they have anything they would like to add.

Lisa

More members in the news items to put on the website.

In monthly email blast, ask folks to submit the names of their colleagues/self that have received an award, promotions, board certifications, etc.

Lisa

In News section of website, link to articles that Jacyntha posts as worthy, interesting on FB with hyperlinks – (Lisa to check how with YourMember)

Lisa

In calendar section, add other dates such as Preceptor’s Conference, ASHP meetings, etc. List OSHP stuff with title of OSHP:

Lisa

Legislative updates in the “In Case You Missed It” section.

Lisa

OSBP newsletter, etc. in the “In case you missed it” section

Lisa

OPhA appropriate news in the "In case you missed it" section

Lisa

Create a Residency Forum

Appoint a forum moderator - Brian Hughes

Miki

Other action plans to come from Brian when complete

Brian


Other action plans to come from Brian when complete Brian

V. OLD BUSINESS
Archiving OSHP data into dropbox: The board agreed to store templates, bylaws, and other shared documents within dropbox but will not include any financial or banking information.
Non-industry sponsored CE-plan proposed John Foust from OSBP: 
i. The state board of pharmacy is very interested in working with OSHP on this item
ii. Plans to send a survey or online suggestion box to poll the members for topic suggestions
iii. Brian stated that Dr Foust mentioned that the state board of pharmacy conference room can house up to 55 people for a CE in Oklahoma City
iv. Brian will call Sandy Warner from OU and Patti Harper from SWOSU to coordinate the CE programming

VI. NEW BUSINESS
November 2nd & 3rd is the Presidential office State Affiliate retreat in Dallas, TX.  Randall will be attending this event
Discuss handling of excess funds in bank account – deferred until Mark can be present for the discussion

VII. ADJOURNMENT
Meeting was adjourned at 3:50 PM
The next board meeting will be held on Tuesday August 25th at 4:00 PM at the O’ Donoghue Research building 4th floor, room 4410.

ADDENDUM A: Items that were discussed by Board members following the July Board meeting
Board members’ attendance at District meetings
o All Board members attended the July Eastern District meeting on July 28th.  
o Board members will be attending the Western District meeting on August 25th
Non-industry sponsored CE
o Randall sent an email to Dr Foust updating him on OSHPs plan of action for setting up non-industry sponsored CE in collaboration with the state board of pharmacy.
o Randall informed the Eastern District members in attendance at the July Eastern District meeting that the board is working on non-industry sponsored CE and asked members to consider submitting suggestions for topics.
o Dr Foust suggested having a cooperative program where the State Board of Pharmacy provide the funds to the non-profit Oklahoma Pharmacy Education Foundation which would in turn provide the funds to OSHP to develop the educational program and select a speaker.  The state board of pharmacy will approve the event for CE.  Topic suggestions included: pharmacy law, USP 797 standards, drug diversion.  The board room at the state board of pharmacy may also be used for the CE event and can accommodate up to 60 people.  Dr Foust is also agreeable to having a CE conference held in Tulsa.  
o A survey was sent to the OSHP members requesting ideas for topics.  See Addendum B
Travel reimbursement for Delegates
o The board discussed via email and approved travel reimbursement for actual expenses accrued by Delegates Ann Lloyd, Edna Patatanian, and Darren Smith.  The Delegates were also asked to submit their meal receipts.
Programming Committee
o The finalized budget for the OSHP Spring meeting: $9,157 was spent on the meeting.  $1819 was for catering.  
o Alex Cobb sent the board an email with catering options for the Fall meeting
Call for Nominations for ASHP Awards
o Randall forward to board members an email he received from ASHP requesting nominations for the following awards:
Honorary Members of ASHP
Board of Directors’ Award of Honor
Award for Distinguished Leadership in Health-System Pharmacy Practice
Donald E. Francke Medal
Award of Excellence
Chief Executive Officer’s Award for Courageous Service
ASHP/ABHP Joint Leadership Award


ADDENDUM B: President Sharp’s message to OSHP members requesting suggestion for CE topics

As you all know, recently we have made the change to no longer offer CE at the Eastern and Western District dinner meetings due to the current PhRMA code. We, as a Board, understand the difficulty and controversy surrounding this change.  We also recognize the need for non-industry sponsored CE, and are therefore seeking ideas for non-industry sponsored continuing education. For example, we are currently considering co-sponsored continuing education with the State Board of Pharmacy.  If you have ideas for CE that are not associated with industry, please email. 

 
Community Search
Sign In


Calendar
Latest News
Featured Members

OKLAHOMA SOCIETY OF HEALTH-BASED PHARMACISTS
PO BOX 2371
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK  73101