Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
OSHP January 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
Share |

 

OSHP BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

January 20, 2016 3:00-3:45 PM

Oklahoma City, OU College of Pharmacy (Room 102E) and Tulsa, OK Schusterman Building (Room 1D29)

 

 

I.      CALL TO ORDER

With a quorum present, President Sharp called the meeting to order at 3 pm.

 

Members Present:

Randall Sharp, President

Debbie Poland, President-Elect

Kari McCracken, Past-President

Emily Gray, Eastern District Chair

Brian Hughes, Western District Chair

Teresa Lewis, Secretary

 

Members Absent:            

Mark Mills, Treasurer

 

Guests Present:

 

II.     APPROVAL OF MINUTES

 

III.    BOARD REPORTS

A.   Secretary:

·            Membership numbers

 

December 2014

December 2015

January 2016

 

Eastern District

Western District

Eastern District

Western District

Eastern District

Western District

Pharmacists

108

131

107

122

60

73

Students

28

72

31

64

13

14

Supporting

3

3

5

1

0

0

Technicians

24

5

16

5

3

2

1st Year Pharmacist

4

11

4

7

3

4

Resident

8

14

10

20

9

10

Total

175

239

173

219

88

103

 

B.   Treasurer  

·         Mark reported he will get financial reports out to everyone very soon. 

·         One big expense recently was for our website subscription for $4,500.

·         Our bank account remains well over $200,000.

·         Michele Splinter and Mark met before Christmas regarding standardizing our accounts in     QuickBooks.  Mark will be bringing these recommendations forward.

C.   Eastern District Chair

·         The Eastern District meeting last night had full attendance.

·         There will be 2 meetings in February.

·         A member mentioned a potential topic idea to Emily.  They proposed having law enforcement provide information/education on new drugs of abuse.  We may consider getting Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy support for this.

·         Emily reported that she has meetings scheduled through April.  She will try to have May scheduled as well.

D.   Western District Chair

·         The January meeting will be on the 26th at The Melting Pot.  We are still waiting for the invite and RSVP from the sales representative.  The location will be Hefner Grill.

·         The February 25th Western District meeting will be at Mickey Mantle.  The sponsor is Fresenius and the topic is lipid formulations

·         The CE event that is co-sponsored by the Oklahoma state board of pharmacy and OSHP will be pushed back to May due to state board requirements.  Darren Smith will present drug diversion.  It will be held at the state board of pharmacy office.  CE will be offered and Ted’s will cater the event.  Brian reported that the state board of pharmacy will have seating for ~40 individuals.

        E.  President-Elect – None

        F.  Past-President – N/A

        G. President – please refer to new business section

        H. Student Liaisons – N/A

 

IV.   COMMITTEE REPORTS/UPDATES

        A. Finance Committee – N/A  

        B.  Legislative Committee – N/A

        C.  Membership Committee

·         Emily will ask membership committee to send out follow up email to members who have not renewed their membership

E.   Newsletter Committee

·         Monthly newsletter:  newsletter committee chair wished to keep the quarterly newsletter rather than go with a monthly newsletter.

        E.  Nominations Committee – N/A

        F.   Program Committee – Randall Sharp, Board Liaison

·         Spring meeting update: we do not have a venue for the annual meeting.  Mercy is booked for our proposed date.  The Samis Center at OU is not a good option due to poor parking.  Edna and Alex continue to search for venues.  Norman does not have enough room to permit breakout sessions.

·         We will not have an ASHP speaker this year.

·         Alex sent an email to residency directors to see how many are interested in presenting residency pearls.  There are about 12 residents who are interested in presenting.  The residents have been asked to submit an abstract of their presentations by February 5th.  Randall and some Committee members will review the submissions to decide which resident is accepted for presentation.  Reviewers will be blinded to the submissions to make the decision process fair.

·         There will be 3 breakout sessions similar to what we have had in the past meetings with residency pearls.

·         Speakers and topics: Toni Ripley will discuss transitions of care at the breakout session. Melanie Claborn from SWOSU will discuss COPD.  Chelsea Church with the state board of pharmacy will talk about ethics.  There will be a breakout session for reversal strategies with novel oral anticoagulants (NOACs)

G.  Scholarship and Awards Committee – Teresa Lewis, Board Liaison

·         Things to accomplish in the next couple of months.  Lisa Slaton got applications for the student scholarships, technician award and continuing excellence awards posted on the website for applicant convenience.  Emails soliciting nominations or applications for the various awards have been sent to the membership.  The deadline for most the awards is February 15th and Barry will send the applications to committee members to review. 

·         One of the charges to the committee is to sponsor a fund raising activity to offset some of the cost of the student scholarships.  Historically, this has been done via the auction off of baskets (1 from each student chapter, 1 from the OSHP BODs and 1 from our committee) at one of the meetings.  This has generated about $350 annually for scholarships.  The committee is looking into possible fund raising activities. 

        H.  Social Media and Communications Committee – Brian Hughes, Board Liaison

·         In order to avoid duplication between the Newsletter committee output and Social media committee output improving communication between the two groups appears to be the best solution.

 

       

V.    OLD BUSINESS

·         Do we need to modify the bylaws to have the Social Media as a subcommittee of the Newsletter Committee or make it a separate committee?  Brian proposed creating a Communications Committee.  The Newsletter and Social Media could be subcommittees under the broader Communications Committee.  Randall stated that if we wish to amend the Bylaws then a vote by the membership is required.  Randall proposed announcing this at the annual meeting and sending out an email for voting.  Brian proposed emailing the members prior to the Annual meeting to make them aware of our proposed changes.  The email will ask members to email the board thoughts or concerns they may have about this change or if they wish to discuss this at the annual meeting.  The board will discuss the plan of action to move forward with this proposal at the next board meeting.

VI.   NEW BUSINESS

·         Proposal and cost estimates from Lisa and the Programming committee to purchase retractable OSHP Banners to be used for upcoming meetings.  Randall will ask Lisa and the Programming Committee to provide the board with more information on what the banner will look like.  The board will revisit this at the next board meeting.

VII.  ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at 3:45 pm

 

ADDENDUM A: Items that were discussed by Board members following the September Board meeting

Annual Meeting Update

        Venue:

·         Meeting location:  Moore-Norman Technology center on the Norman campus east of I-35 (Not Moore)

·         Cost: $750 (does not include cost of food)

·         Other venues were explored (Springlake Metro-Tech, Embassy Suites Hotel near OUHSC) were more costly

        Residency Pearl Presentations:

·         There are 17 residents who wish to present residency pearls.  We only have enough space during the breakout session to accommodate 15 resident presentations.

·         An email was sent to residency program directors asking for two (2) volunteers who would like to present their research in a poster format instead of an oral presentation.  If we do not get two volunteers then a blinded abstract review will be conducted to decide which residents will present.

 

Membership

·         On 2/2/16 staff secretary, Lisa Slaton informed Board members that membership renewal rate was 36%.  Emily Gray forwarded this information to the membership committee co-chairpersons.  Lisa sent membership renewal reminder emails to those individuals.

 

        

Community Search
Sign In


Calendar
Latest News
Featured Members

OKLAHOMA SOCIETY OF HEALTH-BASED PHARMACISTS
PO BOX 2371
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK  73101