Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
June 2015 OSHP Board Meeting Minutes
Share |

 

OSHP BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

June 17, 2015 3:00 – 3:39 PM

Oklahoma City, OK (Room 230) and Tulsa, OK (Room 1D29)

 

I.      CALL TO ORDER

With a quorum present, President Sharp called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm.

Members Present:

Randall Sharp, President

Debbie Poland, President-Elect (via telephone)

Kari McCracken, Past-President (via telephone)

Mark Mills, Treasurer (via telephone)

Brian Hughes, Western District Chair (via telephone)

Teresa Lewis, Secretary

Members Absent:

Emily Gray, Eastern District Chair

II.     APPROVAL OF MINUTES

June board meeting minutes were mistakenly not sent to all board members so no minutes were approved at this meeting

III.    BOARD REPORTS

A.   Secretary:

·Membership numbers

 

December 2014

May 2015

June 2015

 

Eastern District

Western District

Eastern District

Western District

Eastern District

Western District

Pharmacists

108

131

94

113

95

114

Students

28

72

24

55

25

57

Supporting

3

3

4

1

4

7

Technicians

24

5

15

2

16

2

1st Year Pharmacist

4

11

3

4

3

4

Resident

8

14

7

13

5

13

Total

175

239

147

188

151

197

B.   Treasurer  

·Audit is still ongoing

·All the forms and the letter of engagement have been taken care of

·Our CPA needs end of the year statements from the last two years (2013 & 2014).  Mark is working on getting those CD statements from the bank to her. 

·Mark has received the associate survey from Randall.  He is looking through the treasurer part and will get the responses back to Randall within the next couple of days.

        C.  Eastern District Chair – N/A

        D.  Western District Chair

·We have meetings booked up for the rest of the calendar year

·Brian is also working on a couple of potential future meetings with sponsors that have products which have not yet received FDA approval status yet. 

·A member emailed Brian for approval to bring a technician non-member to the upcoming Western District meeting.  Randall stated that he does not think there is anything in the bylaws that prevents a member from brining a prospective member to a district meeting. 

        E.  President-Elect - None

        F.   Past-President  

·OSBP meetings:  The June Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy (OSBP) meeting was today (June 17, 2015).  Kari will not be able to attend any of the state board of pharmacy meetings since the meetings occur on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, every other month.  These dates conflict with Kari’s P&T meetings.  The next meeting is August 19th.  Kari is going to try to attend this meeting but this will depend on the agenda for the P&T meeting and whether she can be excused from attendance at the P&T meeting.  Kari reported that she will notify the rest of the board members if she is unable to attend the OSBP meeting so that someone can attend in her place.

·ASHP Summer meeting affiliate presentation: Kari attended the ASHP summer meeting in Denver on June 6th.  She participated in the state affiliate programming and delivered a presentation on OSHP’s recruitment of pharmacy students.  She got a lot of ideas from some of the other state affiliates about recruitment.  She’ll summarize this information and send it via email to the membership committee and to the programming committee.

        G. President – please refer to old business section

        H. Student Liaisons – N/A

IV.   COMMITTEE REPORTS/UPDATES

A.   Finance Committee – Mark Mills, Board Liaison  

·Mark will be setting up a meeting at the end of the summer with the finance committee members pending the completion of the audit

·Plans include reconciling the budget from the Spring meeting and obtaining a budget for the upcoming Fall meeting

        B.  Legislative Committee – Kari McCracken, Board Liaison – none

        C.  Membership Committee – Emily Gray, Board Liaison – N/A

        D.  Newsletter Committee

·Debbie will contact the chairpersons of the newsletter committee for updates/status of summer newsletter

        E.  Nominations Committee – None

F.   Program Committee

·Randall attended the programming committee meeting that was held on June 3rd

·The OSHP Fall meeting will be held on October 23rd at St Francis in Tulsa. 

·We have speakers for at least 5 of the 6 hours.  Topics are:

1.    Leigh Peek – Pediatric vaccines

2.    Ruben Villanueva – Status epilepticus updates

3.    Ann Lloyd – Antibiotic update, resistant organisms

4.    Dr. Sirajuddin – Heart failure update

5.    David Michaels and Ryan Sayler – Angiogenesis inhibitors

6.    Richard Wheeler – Pain

·ASHP will not be speaking at the fall meeting since they sent someone to speak at the Spring meeting

·Debbie has visited with Kim and Lisa about the vendor showcase.  She will hand over contact information to them within the month

·Mark asked when the program committee be sending him a budget for the meeting.  Mark will contact Alex to get a proposed budget for the board to review and approve. 

·Mark will also follow up with the programming committee chair for the reconciled budget from the spring meeting.

G.  Scholarship and Awards Committee – None

        H.  Social Media and Communications Committee – Brian Hughes, Board Liaison

·The committee plans on meeting soon and will provide updates to the board at a later date

V.    OLD BUSINESS

1.    Board member attendance at District meetings: the board members agreed to attend the July 28th Eastern District meeting as a group.  We will also promote the board’s attendance at this meeting to the membership.  The board members agreed to all attend the August Western District meeting.  Brian will send a calendar invite to the rest of the board members for the August Western District Meeting.

2.    Update ASHP benchmarking survey: Mark is working on that with Randall.  Randall will try to complete this survey and return it to ASHP by the end of the month.

3.    Update non-industry sponsored education:

a.    Randall reached out to the Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, Kansas organizations to see how they handled non-industry sponsored continuing education.  Please refer to “Addendum” section of the May Board meeting minutes for summary of responses from each of these state organizations.

b.    Randall highlighted some responses from the Kansas society.  They held meetings during a time of day that people will come anyway and they send out surveys to the members requesting topic ideas.  They open the meetings up to non-members. 

c.    Kari suggested having meetings on a Saturday, maybe having residents present topics, etc. 

d.    Mark suggested collaborating with the OSBP to partner and share costs with them for CE.  Randall reported that he will contact Dr Foust about this possibility.

e.    Randall reported that he has emailed ASHP about ASHP sponsorship of non-industry funded CE presentations and has not received any responses from them.  Randall stated that he’ll try to call Beverly Black with ASHP in case there are problems with emails.

VI.   NEW BUSINESS - None

VII. ADJOURNMENT

·The next board meeting is scheduled for Wednesday July 15th at 3:00 PM. The locations for July 15th’s board meeting will be at the OU College of pharmacy Tulsa and Oklahoma City campuses.  Board members were sent an outlook calendar invitation with the meeting date and location.

·Meeting was adjourned at 3:39 PM

 

ADDENDUM: Items that were discussed via email following the April Board meeting.

·Randall forwarded communications he shared with Dr Foust from the OSBP related to a partnership between OSHP and OSBP for CE.  Dr Foust reported that the state board may be interested in working with OSHP on this. 

·On June 25th Dr Foust emailed Randall with some brainstorming ideas.  He stated that he talked with an OSBP budget reviewer.  Dr Foust suggested OSHP consider working with another state agency on continuing education programs (e.g. one of the colleges of pharmacy).  He proposed that OSHP work with the college of pharmacy.  The college of pharmacy could provide the speaker and venue and the board would be able to help with the program cost through a payment to the college of pharmacy.  Dr Foust also stated that the board has worked with a non-profit Oklahoma Pharmacy Education Foundation on projects such as the Road to NoWhere video. 

·On July 7th Brian sent an email to the board.  He stated that 1-2 meetings per year with the board of pharmacy co-sponsorship is an excellent idea.  He stated that Dr Foust indicated to him that it is easier for the board of pharmacy to partner up with another government organization than with a “private” organization. 

·In the same email Brian reported his communications with the social media committee chairperson, Miki Finnin.  He stated that Miki asked the OSHP board to provide some directions related to forums that the board would like the social media committee to pursue.  Brian reported that he would like to compile comments, suggestions, ideas regarding how to get the Board more visibility, transparency, etc using social media.  Randall indicated possibly having a member spotlight on the website, posting when the board will be in attendance of district meetings, board thoughts on non-industry funded CE.  Debbie suggested promoting membership drives on social media.

·On July 7th Randall forwarded an email from staff secretary, Lisa Slaton, about setting up a dropbox to post common documents (e.g. bylaws, letter head, etc) for Board members to access. Board members agreed that this was a good idea.  Lisa Slaton set up the Dropbox on July 13th.  

 

Community Search
Sign In


Calendar
Latest News
Featured Members

OKLAHOMA SOCIETY OF HEALTH-BASED PHARMACISTS
PO BOX 2371
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK  73101